Sunday, July 17, 2011

     From my two trips to Florida, I knew that a plane can pull right up to the terminal for passengers to board without even seeing outside. This plane, however, was not like that. After getting my ticket scanned and passport checked, I walked down the weird temporary hallway expecting to see a plane doorway at the other end. Instead there was a metal plank connecting to some folded out steps. Now, I'm generally too clumsy for stairs of any kind, but these were metal fold out stairs. They were narrow, too. I probably looked like a lunatic sucking in a big breath and turning my feet sideways to inch my way down.
The plane turned out to be a small one: only 14 people were on it .As we boarded, people made the usual lame jokes including "Where's the rest of your plane,sir?" and "How do I get to first-class?" My seat was right up front behind the pilots. But this plane was so small that I really was right behind the pilots. I could touch the control panel. Not that I would. Which also made me glad that I had that seat and not some crazy who would. Then I remembered my descent on the steps and decided not to judge.
    It was the worst ride of my entire life. Including cars, trains, buses, roller coasters, and ponies. It was like being on the Millennium Force...for over an hour. And why is it that people prone to motion sickness will never admit it? I am included in this. I still ride the spinning rides at carnivals and would never admit the extreme disorientation I get by the mere sight of a playground swing. It is as if there is a mass motion sickness denial group out there.
     By the time we were beginning the descent, I somehow was having both hot flashes and a cold sweat. The person next to me was only a foot away with the rest of the passengers right behind me. The only thing I could do was keep thinking, "Oh God, no. Please no. Not on this tiny little airplane with no complimentary barf bags and an electronic control pad in front of me. No no no no! Think of things that don't make you sick, like puppies.  But, how horrible would it be if I did! They'd never let me into Canada again!"
  I am proud to say that I made it. Limping and looking dazed, but I made it. To the wonderful world of the Toronto Airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment