Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Airports

With such constant learning and exploring, I wasn't able to post this the very day I was traveling to England, July 7. So, the dates won't match up.

Here's the boring introduction stuff to get out of the way: I signed up for this trip in October. I was one of the very first to do so. I've always wanted to visit the UK, and studying at the University of Oxford seemed like a great place to do that to me. A month hardly seemed long enough. Why not two months? Make it the whole summer?

I was worried about getting here. I had two buses, three airports, and an airport subway in my near future, all by myself. (I'm a big kid now! : )) The day was literally two days put together because of the five hour time difference.

In between the parking lot and the airport, my father and I took a bus. When the doors opened we were greeted by a woman who looked much like one I'd seen on a rerun of Cops the week before. The name plate on the wall announced that she was Penny R. Good enough. Within a few minutes of the drive, she entertained-entertain being used loosely- us with her excitement about going drinking that night. It went a bit like this:

Penny: Where're you off to, hon?
Me: England.
Penny: Oh, I hear it's nice there. Why?
Me: Why am I going? Oh, I am actually taking a course at the University of Oxford. I'll be gone a month.
Penny: Well, I have a party tonight. The airline gave me two whole days off. I'm going to get sooo wasted.
Me: ....that's nice. Yeah.

Then I heaved my bag down the steps and wheeled on to the check-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment